Wednesday, May 6, 2009

I am still Alive!

Luckily, the swine flu has not over taken peoples daily lives here in Japan. After reading the initial US news reports online it seemed as though armageddon would soon be upon us. I feel for those of you working at Reg-ER and hope the apparant hysteria has not increased the normal spring -> summer census dip.

My life here in Oita City, Japan has continued to be exciting and rewarding. Since my last post I started teaching at three junior high schools. During my initial visit to each class I have been giving a personal introduction to the students. I tell them about myself, where I am from (I tell them Athens, Georgia as it is more exciting than most places I have lived 'sorry Hattan and GRAPS'), my family, my hobbies, my work history and of course why I came to Japan. During the presentation I show a lot of pictures.

For the older students, I came up with a Jeopardy style introduction where I have six categories (Jeremy, Family, Famous People, Animals, Food and Sports). The classes get into groups and I ask them questions within each category. They don't get as much information about me and where I am from, but they have a lot more fun, they interact with me and they read, listen to and speak English rather than just listening to a presentation.

I typically keep the presentation for the younger kids much shorter and then let them ask questions. Some classes have asked me questions for 30 minutes which was surprising at first, but it makes sense when considering I maybe the first foreigner they have ever met! Most questions are straight forward (what do you think of Japan, what was the first thing you noticed in Japan, what kind of food do you like), some are personal (are you married, do you have a girlfriend) and some are I find a little strange (what is your favorite flower, how many different kinds of bears are there in America).

Per my contract I am required to teach no more than four classes per day. The school year in Japan began a few weeks ago, so the students have been busy with many beginning of the year activities and requirements. With that in mind, most days I haven't been teaching four classes a day. Which has left me with a lot of free time to study Japanese and talk with the students in between classes.

Primarily, my job as an ALT is to provide international awareness for the students and to engage them in English conversation. Secondly, I am a teacher. So, I guess it is not surprising that I often do not teach four classes a day. I have been focusing my energy on interacting with the students outside of class as much as possible. At my main junior high school, I have joined the basketball team for practice several times. Most students here join a club which they participate in after school. Students are only able to join one club and they participate in that club year round. Which I find unfortunate that they can't be active in up to three sports like I could in high school (fall, winter, spring). Nevertheless, they do become very skilled in one sport as opposed to mediocre in three separate sports.

About two weeks ago, many schools went on an excursion. The students and several teachers hike from their school to a field where they play team games, give presentations (I can't understand Japanese, so any time someone gets up in front of a group of people with a megaphone, I just assume it is some kind of presentation) and eat a picnic lunch. The following pictures are of an excursion I went on with Hetsugi Junior High School.





Outside of work I have been having fun and taking care of business. I have been busy buying things for my apartment (desk, desk chair, bookshelf), going to the grocery store, getting my clothes dry cleaned, taking care of financial stuff. I guess the same kind of stuff I would be doing back in the states.

There are several bar districts here in Oita City, so I have been out a few times on the weekends. Since the school year just started, schools have been having their beginning of the year parties (en-kie). The teachers and administrators meet up downtown and go to an all you can eat and drink celebration to kick off the new school year. I have been to two and they are a lot of fun. All you drink really opens the teachers/administrators up to engaging in English conversation.

Other than that I have spending time going out to eat with the other English teachers. I will soon post pictures and info on some of favorite places to eat in Oita.

I hope this post finds you all in good health and good spirits.


I must send out a Special Congratulations! to my Mom and David, who are getting married this weekend. I love you both and wish you the very best.

Much Peace and Love.

Jeremy

1 comment: