Saturday, March 21, 2009

ATL > Detroit Rock City > Tokyo

March 17th, 2009, 0400 hours


My adventure began on hwy 78, taking us out of the Classic City and heading towards the world's busiest air travel center, Hartsfield Jackson International Airport. My longtime, trustworthy and small government friend, Hank, was at the wheel. Much to my amusement, he was angry becuase the only entertainment the automobile provided was the often left-leaning radio program, NPR "Morning Edition." What he needed this early in the morning was something much louder, faster, and nascent, but also ghostly (tape deck -> inoperable!).


As we gained closer proximity to our destination, we passed threw the "Star-Wars" tunnels on hwy 285 south and it was then that I knew my epic journey had already begun. Hank made good time despite the lack of hard charging metal to encourage reckless speed. We exchanged quick goodbyes and I found my way to the pre-departure check-in station. Arriving three hours prior to my flight and expecting a long queue, I was dismayed by the complete absence of any other passengers at the Northwest check-in counter. The attendant took my bags, swiped my passport and provided me with directions to my gate.


At my gate. Time - 0730 hours. Destination - Detroit Rock City. Time of Departure - 10:25 hours. Realization - at the airport one can see people running that would not run in any other circumstance or setting.







March 17th, 2009, 1030 hours


I boarded my plane to Dee-troit, found my aisle seat and waited for the stranger that would sit next to me. "Please don't smell like any of the following: 1. GI bleed 2. homeless feet 3. coffee mixed with teeth lacking a recent brushing." Luckily the business-suited man that filled the seat next to lacked the previously mentioned odors. He did however explain his frustration with current demographic of passengers. He explained "This is the worst time of year, all these families on spring break with their kids!" Kind of a ironic, a business man not in favor of families traveling on spring break and spending money in the current economic climate. The rest of the flight was uneventful. Having not slept in the past 20 hours, I did my best to rest.




March 17th, 2009, 1230 hours


Arriving in Detroit, I knew I had two important tasks to accomplish. One, eat one last American meal (or so I thought). Two, exchange my US dollars for Japanese Yen. The third task, which I had considered, rescue the state of Michigan and especially the city of Detroit from economic ruin would have to wait until my return. Surprisingly, however, the Detroit Airport had received expansive remolding since my last visit. Which included an indoor and slightly elevated tram which reminded me of the Disney-World train and a really nice fountain that shoots small streams of water in patterns of 180 degrees.











Lacking an appropriate amount of time to sit down at an airport restaurant, I searched for something quicker and concluded that my best option was America's capitalist superfood, McDonald's! The largely young and African-American staff worked with extreme efficiency and yelled out orders to the indecisive customers. As soon as a cashier has completed an order, they yelled out, "I can take the next Order! I take the next order!" They worked faster than the customers could think. I stepped up quickly order my quarter pounder with cheese meal and found my way to the soft-drink dispensing station.

A young woman trying to fill several cups at the drink station had placed her bags in the middle of the restaurant thereby blocking access. She yelled at her young children, "I told you to stay by bags! Do you want someone to steal your bag? I will get your drinks!" One of the children responded, "But I don't want Coke, I want tea."

"We'll today you don't have a choice, everyone is getting Coke."


My anxiety and nervousness about moving to Japan was pushed slightly to the side. I was definitely ready to experience life somewhere else.


March 17th, 2009, 1320 hours


After consuming my high fat-infested lunch I walked over to the gate, snapped a few pictures and prepared for the point of no return. An older and very muscular black man walked up to me as I waited for the flight attendant to call m y row for boarding. The man asked me "Do you speak Japanese, I don't know what the hell she's saying. Which rows have they called?" I replied "I am not sure. But they will announce everything in Japanese and English."

"Man...I can't believe I am doing this, I am going to have no idea what's going on," the man asserted. I asked him, "Where are you traveling to?" He replied "Going to work on an ocean oil rig, middle of nowhere, next to some country I'd never heard of a month ago. Moneys good, but my family is not comin'. No jobs here, gotta go elsewhere."


The attendant announced that all passengers could now board. I walked the tarmac and reached the point of no return. The mythological stage of separation was now in effect.










March 17th, 2009, 1400 hours


My flight from Detroit to Tokyo (Narita Airport) went by rather quickly and was actually quite comfortable. I was able to sleep for the first half of the flight and awoke in the morning (Japanese time) which greatly reduced my jet lag. Northwest served us three meals, chicken teriyake with rice and dinner sides, a ham and cheese sandwich and chicken teriyake with breakfast sides.


They played several movies. The airplane projection screen reminded me of "This summer Rob Scheinder is A Stapler! Rated PG-13."


I arrived in Tokyo safe, sound with out any problems.








If you so desire, check back often for more pictures and info on my time in Tokyo, my travel from Tokyo to Oita, my apartment in Oita and the city of Oita.

Until next time, much peace and love.

Jeremy



3 comments:

  1. You know Angelo and I need to be on here!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. - Airports are indeed one of the few places where I run. Seldom, though.

    - You gotta love mothers that choose Coke for kids over a good healthy tea!

    - Shauna, I'm here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apparently I have the magic touch, because I can now use your tape deck and my ipod. The Camry now blasts metal exclusively.

    -Hank

    ReplyDelete